Our hearts are with everyone affected by the unrest in Ukraine. The situation regarding the hardships and loss that Ukrainian families are experiencing is heartbreaking. If you are like us, you may be wondering how to help, obtain help, and how to support your own children at this time.
Ways to Help:
- Promote self-compassion and possibly reduce your stress and anxiety with Metta Meditation. Metta Meditation (also known as loving-kindness meditation) is a practice of chanting repetitions to send out collective energy and "kind wishes" to the world. (see an example below)
- Consider hosting a family fundraiser to raise money for your cause. CharityWatch can help you find a credible relief organization. Other reputable organizations include UNICEF, the International Committee of the Red Cross, and the International Rescue Committee.
- Befriend a refugee family. Get matched through an organization like: VolunteerMatch.org.
- Share the Ukraine Take Shelter: an independent platform connecting Ukrainian refugees with potential hosts and housing.
- "As a parent, I want to protect my children from great sadness and information they may not be ready for, but I also want them to learn empathy, kindness, generosity, and compassion for those in need." -MiaLisa Millares, Executive Director of Doing Good Together. We couldn't have expressed this any better and they have some great resources on conversations, books, and ideas on how to engage with your children.